Wednesday, April 25, 2012

[sharepointdiscussions] Digest Number 4430

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

Messages

1.

Auto-login a user into SharePOint 2010 using an LDAP query against A

Posted by: "themags1976" jbyrd76@hotmail.com   themags1976

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:01 pm (PDT)



Hello, We will have external users logging into a system that is unrelated to SharePoint 2010. We will have our external user's accounts in our Active Directory. My requirement is to have these external users log into this other application and then have the application using c# code, redirect the user to SharePoint 2010 and auto log the user into the site by using an LDAP query to get the userid and password from AD.

First, does anyone have any suggestions on the best approach to auto-log a user into Sharepoint using c# code?

Second, I am not sure which authentication provider would be the best option for this scenario...windows?

I really appreciate any help!

2a.

Need link to changing file versions

Posted by: "pdblumstein" pbandj@pobox.com   pdblumstein

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am (PDT)



G'day!

I'm a group newbie, though been on the net since 1984. (not a typo).
I have light experience with SharePoint, so I joined this group as a resource where I can ask questions that either I can't solve or (like this case) I probably can solve, but not optimally. One day, I hope to be good enough to answer questions others ask!

We have a Win XP system running SP 2007.

We have files that get updated periodically. We generally use a naming convention such as: "filename 20120424".

What I'd like to do is have a link that always points to the latest version of the file. Yes, I could always change the link or rename the file, but I want to the users replace the file without my intervention. Also, I don't like the idea of naming a file with something like "filename latest" as it is easy to mess that up.

Sounds like a scenario that some of you probably have solved satisfactorily. Please share.

TIA,
Paul

2b.

Re: Need link to changing file versions

Posted by: "Bryan Hart" bryan@solanite.com   bryandhart

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 am (PDT)



Why not use just "filename" and enable the versioning features in
SharePoint?

Bryan Hart | Technical Consultant | Solanite Consulting, Inc.

From: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of pdblumstein
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:07 AM
To: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sharepointdiscussions] Need link to changing file versions

G'day!

I'm a group newbie, though been on the net since 1984. (not a typo).
I have light experience with SharePoint, so I joined this group as a
resource where I can ask questions that either I can't solve or (like
this case) I probably can solve, but not optimally. One day, I hope to
be good enough to answer questions others ask!

We have a Win XP system running SP 2007.

We have files that get updated periodically. We generally use a naming
convention such as: "filename 20120424".

What I'd like to do is have a link that always points to the latest
version of the file. Yes, I could always change the link or rename the
file, but I want to the users replace the file without my intervention.
Also, I don't like the idea of naming a file with something like
"filename latest" as it is easy to mess that up.

Sounds like a scenario that some of you probably have solved
satisfactorily. Please share.

TIA,
Paul

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2c.

Re: Need link to changing file versions

Posted by: "Peter Brunone" peter.brunone@gmail.com   peter_brunone

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:21 am (PDT)



SharePoint has versioning for this so you don't need to change the filename.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM, pdblumstein <pbandj@pobox.com> wrote:

> G'day!
>
> I'm a group newbie, though been on the net since 1984. (not a typo).
> I have light experience with SharePoint, so I joined this group as a
> resource where I can ask questions that either I can't solve or (like this
> case) I probably can solve, but not optimally. One day, I hope to be good
> enough to answer questions others ask!
>
> We have a Win XP system running SP 2007.
>
> We have files that get updated periodically. We generally use a naming
> convention such as: "filename 20120424".
>
> What I'd like to do is have a link that always points to the latest
> version of the file. Yes, I could always change the link or rename the
> file, but I want to the users replace the file without my intervention.
> Also, I don't like the idea of naming a file with something like "filename
> latest" as it is easy to mess that up.
>
> Sounds like a scenario that some of you probably have solved
> satisfactorily. Please share.
>
> TIA,
> Paul
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2d.

Re: Need link to changing file versions

Posted by: "Sims, David" dsims@clark.edu   davesims98

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 am (PDT)



Paul,

If you use the versioning feature in your "Shared Documents" library where this file is kept the users access will always be the latest published version.
This takes the guess work out of the question "Where is the latest version of my file at?"

Versioning settings can be accessed by a site owner when the "Shared Documents" Library is up on the page.
In the middle of the page you will see items such as "New|Upload|Actions|Settings"
Click on Settings and then Document Library Settings.
You will see a selection for "Versioning settings" on the left side of the page.
Once there you can select to keep major versions or major and minor (draft) versions.
The default is usually no versioning. We use the Major Versions and hit the check mark to keep 20 to 30 versions only.
You may also want to require the documents to be checked out before they can be edited at the bottom.
Click OK and that should start your versioning functions on the "Shared Documents" Library.

David Sims...Clark College...IT Services
(360) 992-2132 dsims@clark.edu<mailto:dsims@clark.edu>
FAX: (360) 992-2837

From: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of pdblumstein
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:07 AM
To: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sharepointdiscussions] Need link to changing file versions

G'day!

I'm a group newbie, though been on the net since 1984. (not a typo).
I have light experience with SharePoint, so I joined this group as a resource where I can ask questions that either I can't solve or (like this case) I probably can solve, but not optimally. One day, I hope to be good enough to answer questions others ask!

We have a Win XP system running SP 2007.

We have files that get updated periodically. We generally use a naming convention such as: "filename 20120424".

What I'd like to do is have a link that always points to the latest version of the file. Yes, I could always change the link or rename the file, but I want to the users replace the file without my intervention. Also, I don't like the idea of naming a file with something like "filename latest" as it is easy to mess that up.

Sounds like a scenario that some of you probably have solved satisfactorily. Please share.

TIA,
Paul

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

UAG Alternatives

Posted by: "russellgove" russellgove@gmail.com   russellgove

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am (PDT)



I am working on a project to share documents with my companies copunterparties via an extranet.
We have installed a trial edition of UAG /TMG and it's working,, but its's just too expensive!

What do other people do to protect there sharepoint extranets?

3b.

Re: UAG Alternatives

Posted by: "Paul Stork" pstork@att.net   pstorkoh

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:32 am (PDT)



Are you looking at the price of UAG? For your scenario you might be able to
get by with just the feature set available in TMG. It's a bit less
expensive.

Paul Papanek Stork (MVP) | Blue Chip Consulting Group | Senior Solution
Architect |
<mailto:paul.stork@bluechip-llc.com> paul.stork@bluechip-llc.com | m:
216.272.0573 | f: 440.348.2390 |
<https://by2prd0710.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=_0pgv2oqH06TvPs3KHKq_1h2jGc
C7c4ICQhBqT8Sy5Nsk4sxOb3kHsdzl9SAiMilpiwq9bIW2hM.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bluec
hip-llc.com%2f> http://www.bluechip-llc.com

From: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of russellgove
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:12 AM
To: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sharepointdiscussions] UAG Alternatives

I am working on a project to share documents with my companies
copunterparties via an extranet.
We have installed a trial edition of UAG /TMG and it's working,, but its's
just too expensive!

What do other people do to protect there sharepoint extranets?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Bi-polar disorder

Find support

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Tips for a happy,

healthy home

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments: