Friday, June 1, 2012

[sharepointdiscussions] Digest Number 4456

Messages In This Digest (1 Message)

Message

1.1.

Re: Making SPLists Not look like SP Lists

Posted by: "Shane Gibson" shane.gibson.lsg@gmail.com   shane_gibson_lsg

Thu May 31, 2012 10:14 am (PDT)



Hello All,

Okay so I got this working using JQuery using list web services in my master page then saved and deployed as site template to create sub sites. But I have an issue when I click the links from one page to the next they cause what I am calling a reload flash (b/c they are doing just that reloading from the JQuery and web service every time). My question is how do I stop this reload flash, is it possible? I was thinking maybe I load the list in an xml doc or something, or cache something in IIS, or maybe it is the way I have deployed as templates. I truly have no clue what path to use to fix this one, not a huge issue but wanted to see if it is possible to fix and how I would do that.

Also on another topic but related to what I said above, I have deployed sub sites based on a site template .wsp I saved in dev and re-deployed in production. Problem I am having is I put everything in the /style library/… three sub folders /images/… /scripts/… /css/… etc. location. When I change the css it works fine on all sub sites and there masters pages, b/c they point back to root style lib; JQuery the same. Now the images are supposed to do the same dang thing, but when I over write one of the images in the style lib/images on the root none of the sites pick it up, I have tried: F5, ctrl + r, the refresh button from the browser, tried using other browsers than IE, done IIS resets on 2 wfe's and app server, rebooted servers, etc. all still show the old image (Key here is WHEN I OVER WRITE the original image)? I am thinking it is ghosted and unghosted problem most likely, but that doesn't solve my problem, I need to know how to get the sub site master pages to recognize that it is a new image?

Thanks in advance,

Shane G.

From: Shane Gibson [mailto:shane.gibson.lsg@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 5:24 PM
To: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sharepointdiscussions] Re: Making SPLists Not look like SP Lists

That was supposed to say "guys" not guy, thanks for the suggestions "guys", I'm going to attempt the csom first as it does make sense of why it's there to begin with, and services as a secondary option, and hopefully get it working, thanks again guyS!

Thanks,

Shane G.

On May 18, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Peter Brunone <peter.brunone@gmail.com> wrote:

If you want to do this with the minimum amount of research, you might just
go to the SPServices project on CodePlex. The documentation is quite
extensive, and pulling data from a list is pretty standardized.

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Shane Gibson <shane.gibson.lsg@gmail.com <mailto:shane.gibson.lsg%40gmail.com> >wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions guy, I did see in my branding book a snippet
> about csom, but was shying away from it as I have always been more of a
> code behind writer, looks like I may finally have to start writing client
> scripts, again thanks, any good books published on these (SharePoint
> specific).
>
> Thanks
> Shane G.
>
> On May 18, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Peter Brunone <peter.brunone@gmail.com <mailto:peter.brunone%40gmail.com> >
> wrote:
>
> > Ah. I didn't realize there was a Publishing constraint on that WP.
> >
> > In addition to the CSOM, you could also use SPServices or straight jQuery
> > to pull data from the Lists web service.
> >
> > On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Bryan Hart <bryan@solanite.com <mailto:bryan%40solanite.com> > wrote:
> >
> > > Though that web part requires Publishing to be enabled, and embedding
> in
> > > the master page might be problematic. The Client Side Object Model
> > > (CSOM) has a Javascript implementation which can retrieve list
> > > information pretty easily and wouldn't have any trouble living in a
> > > SharePoint Master Page.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Bryan Hart | Technical Consultant | Solanite Consulting, Inc. | office:
> > > 206-374-8765 | mobile: 206-226-0652 | web: http://www.solanite.com/
> > > <http://www.solanite.com/>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > From: sharepointdiscussions@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sharepointdiscussions%40yahoogroups.com> On Behalf Of Peter
> > > Brunone
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I'd suggest using either the Content Query Web Part or the Client
> Object
> > > Model.
> > >
> > > CQWP (with the ability to query dynamically based on the URL or other
> > > factors):
> > >
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ecm/archive/2010/05/14/what-s-new-with-the-conte
> > > nt-query-web-part.aspx
> > >
> > > On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Shane <shane.gibson.lsg@gmail.com <mailto:shane.gibson.lsg%40gmail.com>
> > > <mailto:shane.gibson.lsg%40gmail.com> > wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Yes this is an old thread but subject is still on my mind and since a
> > > > customer is requesting it again and since SharePoint 2010 and visual
> > > > studios 2010 has been released they have changed the SharePoint
> > > development
> > > > game (A LOT), I have been paying hell using Google to find a good
> > > article
> > > > that walks you thru designing and deploying a custom footer in a
> > > master
> > > > page that dynamically pulls its values from a list, most likely as
> > > Paul S.
> > > > stated a long time ago in this thread, this will be a user control
> > > that is
> > > > deployed in the bin or GAC as a feature/solution and activated
> > > (preferably
> > > > the bin over the GAC if at all possible, ALSO THE KEY WORDS
> > > "dynamically"
> > > > and "from a list" are there for a reason I am not trying to add a
> > > static
> > > > footer or copyright <div> tag after the dashboard; seriously I see
> > > that
> > > > article reposted one more time on the internet I am going to complain
> > > to
> > > > the www blogger Gods and pray to magically erase them all).
> > > >
> > > > I am looking for a detailed article or series of articles (blogs,
> > > Google
> > > > books, kindle, etc. I don't care) that walks thru this subject, I am
> > > on a
> > > > short timeline (I have until Monday to make this feature/solution
> > > working
> > > > in my master page, and then wrap it with some CSS). Even if I have to
> > > buy a
> > > > book on Kindle from amazon.com for a chapter or two of reading and
> > > coding
> > > > I don't care, well worth the 30-40$. I just want to make this happen
> > > for my
> > > > customer as it is a hot topic for them, and I prefer to do it using
> > > Visual
> > > > Studios 2010 using a feature/solution deployment in the bin
> directory,
> > > if
> > > > this is possible. Unless there is a good cheap purchase that can do
> > > this
> > > > just the same, I am thinking web parts are out, so back to the
> > > original
> > > > (Plus it is in the master page and not the page layout/content page).
> > > Also
> > > > just as an FYI customer does NOT want publishing turned on, and the
> > > output
> > > > will be and <ul>..<li> vertical format if that matters on some of
> your
> > > > suggestions.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks in Advance,
> > > > Shane G.
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Find support for

Mental illnesses

Y! Messenger

All together now

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments: